Developer: Echostone Games
Based in: New York, NY
August 25, 2016 (iOS)
Platforms: iOS (and more TBA)
iPhone 5, iPad 3/mini 2 and above
$3.99 (Launch Discount: $2.99)
Gemini - A Journey of Two Stars is an interactive poem and video game about two stars flying into the heavens together.
In Gemini, the player controls the movement of a star that has descended to the earth. Soon it comes across another star—a little one with its own intentions and personality. Together, the two stars move in tandem to explore mythical spaces, share moments of joy, and overcome obstacles. Through the journey, the player comes to learn more about the little star and how to fly beautifully. After finishing the game once, the player unlocks a local two-player mode to share the experience with a family member, friend, or partner.
The story of Gemini is told wordlessly. It gives the player the freedom to determine the meaning of its metaphors through playful exploration of its world and mechanics.
Fly high, journey far, and enjoy.
Atlas Chen and Nick Zhang started working on Gemini in September of 2013. They began with the idea of building an emotional and meaningful relationship between the player and a non-player character.
Once the team had a solid prototype, Tony Yan joined to lend his unique musical stylin. Soon after, Kevin Chen signed on as the visual artist, and he brought the game to a whole new level with illustrations drawn from nature and futuristic concepts. As more advanced graphical effects became needed, Zack Zhang came in to help as a technical artist and consultant.
Since the beginning, the team has been under the guidance of industry luminaries such as Bennett Foddy, Frank Lantz, and Jenova Chen. In the summer 2014, the NYU Game Center Incubator selected Gemini for its inaugural session.
Gemini has come an incredibly long way from its humble origins. The team has showcased Gemini around the United States at events like PAX Prime, SXSW, and IndieCade. At every festival, players showered support and kind words on the game’s many iterations. This encouragement made the team strong in the following years, as it transitioned from the excitement of those early days to the hard realities of polishing and finishing an indie game.
honors & awards
- "SXSW Gamer's Voice Finalist", Austin, TX, March 2015
- "IGF Student Showcase Winner", San Francisco, CA, March 2015
- "Gold Award, 6th Annual Pixie Award", Jan 2015
- "Finalist, IndieCade", Los Angeles, CA, Oct 2014
- "Gold Award for Gaming, Annual DC Web & Digital Media Festival 2014" Washington DC, September 2014
- "Awesome Aesthetic Award, Boston Festival of Indie Games 2014“ Boston, MA, September 2014
- "Pax Prime 2014 - Golden Sushi's, BigSushi.FM" Seattle, WA, August 2014
- “Official Selection, Indie Prize USA Showcase 2014” San Francisco, CA, July 2014
- "Selected Project, NYU Game Center Incubator 2014" New York, NY, June 2014
- "Third Place Award, RPI GameFest 2014" Troy, NY, April 2014
- "Gtopia: Game Site" Exhibition, Tank Art Center, Shanghai, China, Dec 2021 - March 2022
- "Xbox Showcase, E3", Los Angeles, CA, June 2015
- "Indie MEGABOOTH Showcase, GDC", San Francisco, CA, March 2015
- "The NYC Arcade", New York, NY, Jan 2015
- "Demo Expo, NYC Media Lab Annual Summit 2014" New York, NY, September 2014
- “Indie MEGABOOTH Showcase, PAX Prime 2014” Seattle, WA, August 2014
- "Art Video Games In China, Babycastles" New York, NY, March 2014
Game Designer & Lead Developer
Game Designer & Developer
All Right Reserved © 2014 Echostone Games LLC.